This post is reblogged and snatched outright from the Friends of Science | The Myths and Facts of Global Warming website. Thank you friends of Science for some rational insight on a hot topic. I do not in any way claim that the facts presented here today were gathered by me.
Furthermore I do support cleaning up our environment, because a smoggy city or a dirty river is just downright nasty. That being said, I think we are spinning our collective wheels blaming everything that happens on global warming.
All I have done is abridge the answers a bit and added one “Nuh Uh”, just because I felt like it.
MYTH 1: Global temperatures are rising at a rapid, unprecedented rate.
FACT: Nuh uh! Read the facts thank you very much. Any rise in temperature is not unprecedented.(see link above^)
MYTH 2: The “hockey stick” graph proves that the earth has experienced a steady, very gradual temperature decrease for 1000 years, then recently began a sudden increase.
MYTH 3: Human produced carbon dioxide has increased over the last 100 years, adding to the Greenhouse effect, thus warming the earth.
FACT: As measured in ice cores dated over many thousands of years, CO2 levels move up and down AFTER the temperature has done so, and thus are the RESULT of, NOT THE CAUSE of warming.
MYTH 4: CO2 is the most common greenhouse gas.
FACT: Greenhouse gases form about 3% of the atmosphere by volume. They consist of varying amounts, (about 97%) of water vapour and clouds. Of the remaining 3% , CO2 is the most common of the minor gases a constitutes only about 0.039% of the atmosphere.
MYTH 5: Computer models verify that CO2 increases will cause significant global warming.
FACT: The computer models assume that CO2 is the primary climate driver, and that the Sun has an insignificant effect on climate. That’s circular reasoning. When you use your assumed answer as the input for the model and you get whatever answer you are looking for.
MYTH 6: The UN proved that man–made CO2 causes global warming.
FACT: In a 1996 report by the UN on global warming, two statements were deleted from the final draft. Here they are:
1) “None of the studies cited above has shown clear evidence that we can attribute the observed climate changes to increases in greenhouse gases.”
2) “No study to date has positively attributed all or part of the climate change to man–made causes”
MYTH 7: CO2 is a pollutant.
FACT: CO2 is essential to life on earth. It is necessary for plant growth since increased CO2 intake as a result of increased atmospheric concentration causes many trees and other plants to grow more vigorously
MYTH 8: Global warming will cause more storms and other weather extremes.
FACT: There is no scientific or statistical evidence whatsoever that supports such claims on a global scale. Regional variations, population density increases, increasing cost and more media coverage changes our perceptions.
MYTH 9: Receding glaciers and the calving of ice shelves are proof of global warming.
FACT: Glaciers have been receding and growing cyclically for hundreds of years. Recent glacier melting is a consequence of coming out of the very cool period of the Little Ice Age. Scientists know of at least 33 periods of glaciers growing and then retreating. It’s normal.
MYTH 10: The earth’s poles are warming; polar ice caps are breaking up and melting and the sea level rising.
FACT: The earth is variable. The western Arctic may be getting somewhat warmer, due to cyclic events in the Pacific Ocean, but the Eastern Arctic and Greenland are getting colder. The small Palmer Peninsula of Antarctica is getting warmer, while the main Antarctic continent is actually cooling. Ice thicknesses are increasing both on Greenland and in Antarctica.
Sea level monitoring in the Pacific (Tuvalu) and Indian Oceans (Maldives) has shown no sign of any sea level rise.
More FACTS and MYTHS? See what Professor deFreitas has to say. Click here.