This past month of unintentionally taking a break from blogging taught me a lot. One thing it taught me was that it won’t all come crashing down on my head if I need to step back and deal with private issues. I know, I know, since I talk about just about anything that comes in my head, you may wonder what on earth could be all that private. Well I’m not going to tell you…directly anyway 🙂
In this last month of silence I got a whole lot of new followers, go figure. What a blessing. I love meeting new people online, in person or however the Cosmos choses to send them. Also people went right on commenting on older posts. I guess that button that says “click here for random post” is working after all. I don’t advocate neglecting your blog on a regular basis, but it seems that readers can be forgiving if we careen off the rails occasionally. I have created a body of work extensive enough that it can amuse people in my absence.
A few months ago, out of curiosity, I downloaded my entire blog. I ran a word count on it and guess what? It turns out that just from blogging alone I have written enough that if I had directed those words towards writing a book – I’d have written not 1 but 2 books by now. Wow, that’s a lot of words! Some of it may be total blather, but who is 100% every day? Not me, that’s for sure. There are days that I do well to manage to even speak a few words, let alone grab a whip and a chair and round them up into sentences and paragraphs and commit them to paper.
As I’m coming up on the 3rd year of blogging I’m doing a bit of pondering about what direction it’s going in. I’ve also been wondering about the different advantages, pros and cons of WordPress.com VS WordPress.org. WordPress.com is a simple, easy and low-cost way to blog, but I’ve already passed that by and paid to have no WordPress generated ads on my site, I own my domain name, and I have a premium ($) theme. There are limitations to what I can do with my blog such as selected advertising that I am in control of and limits on what plugins I can run.
So here I sit on the blog fence. I should put a saddle on this sucker because I sit on the fence a lot. What kind a blog to have? What is my focus…my niche? Should I talk about “politically incorrect” topics? And what the hell is this SEO that everyone who claims to be a blog expert is talking about?? What to do, what to do? Or I could keep right on doing what I’ve been doing? Could be, but that shoe is starting to pinch a bit. I’ll figure it out…eventually.
I started blogging in December 2010. It’s been a wild and crazy experience. Learned a lot about myself. That was a big surprise because I thought I knew it all. I’ve received several award nominations during this time. But, I didn’t know how to respond so I didn’t. However, I’m on a gratitude kick lately and decided that just feeling gratitude is not enough. Need to say out loud in front of witnesses.
So today I’m tossing my neurosis, (or at least one of them) to the winds and sending out a belated thank you to all of you who read this blog. And a belated Thank you times 2 to those who nominated me for an award. I feel all warm and cuddly today and need to express gratitude as in saying “thank you.” Looking back I realize that I didn’t respond to these gifts of recognition because I pre-judged myself not worthy and therefore had nothing to say. I forgot that not accepting a gift denies the giver of the joy of giving.
General rules of the awards are:
1. Thank the person that awarded you (better late than never)
And a big thank you and hugs to everyone who has listened to my ramblings for the past year and a half 🙂
- Mr. Husband called me a housewife recently. I was so happy and shocked that I almost started crying. I’ve wanted to be one all my life just never got the chance. It took 56 years to get here.
- I’m a good cook but took a little 25 year break. Now I need scrape the rust off my cook pots and prove it…again
- I love to read SciFi, Steampunk, and historical fiction novels. Have been known to read non-stop for weeks on end, taking breaks occasionally only to eat, shower, or sleep
- I Love to travel and have visited every continent except Australia and Antarctica. The longest trip taken in one gulp was 4 months in Japan.
- I like to choreograph dance to music in my head. That’s why my attention wanders off occasionally. I also do it in my sleep.
- I’m a Goth/Edwardian/Victorian ere enthusiast and actually own a beautiful black silk brocade corset. (no one knows because I don’t wear miniature hats, and striped stockings…yet…:)
- I think this world is a wonderful and hilarious place to live. Incredibly glad I got invited here by whatever God or power who is in charge of the universe.
3. Passing the good stuff on. There are so many great bloggers out there it’s difficult to narrow it down to a few but here goes:
On December 23rd in the year of our Lord 2010 I posted my first ever blog post. It was the first step to the wildest ride of my life. I hope it doesn’t end anytime soon! It started out as a chronicle of my road to involuntary retirement. But that was only the beginning. I learned a lot this first year about blogging and writing. The WordPress community is full of friendly and supportive people. I was honored with a Freshly Pressed in January 2011, and received a several nominations for Versatile Blogger. One of the many things I want to do in 2012 is get of my behind and give back via nominations to bloggers and commentors who inspire and encourage me.
January through April of 2011 was the last four months of my job. Marking time, waiting for it to be over. There wasn’t much to do those last 4 months. Many of my posts during those months were written at work. All I had to do all day was sat at my computer and bang away. Nobody asked what I was doing because it didn’t matter a whole lot. On my last day at work I threw my stuff in the car and left. That was that. I don’t miss it. Really, I don’t.
Immediately I took off on a train trip to Seattle with my Mom and sister. That was a hoot and a half and fodder for many posts. Then came the long summer of my discontent. What to do with myself. What to do… 40 years of the 9 to 5 fried my mischief bone and I had no clue how to go on. Still wrestling with that one.
The Cosmos handed me a project in the form of a 23-year-old grandson who came to live with us. He was in trouble with substance abuse. He stayed here for 3 months. Mr. Husband and I put 30 pounds on the kid. He was an interesting and expensive pass time. While he was here I took him to every doctor in the Dallas Fort Worth area. At least that’s what it seemed like. The diagnosis was he was as healthy as a horse.
September found me on a road trip with my mother. We went to Yellowstone National Park, and Mt. Rushmore. We had a blast. And Mom and I hadn’t spent time alone like that since….well never. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I took temporary leave of my sanity November and decided to join the NaNoWriMo challenge for National Novel Writing Month. My novel turned out to be too much like a memoir and I practically had nervous breakdown in the process. I don’t recommend a 30 day forced march through one’s psyche and past. It’s no wonder they stress that a novel is supposed to be FICTION. I’m still working on my book but, it will be nothing like it started out to be.
And now here we are on the last day of December. I made it through the holiday season with nothing worse that a head cold. I hope everyone out there in Blogolopolis had a wonderful season. I also wish us all a wonderful 2012 full of new horizons and exciting adventures.
Happy New Year and big hugs and kisses to one and all.
Just for the fun of it, below is a list of most viewed posts of 2011:
DVD Hoarders Anonymous
A Squirrel Ate My Car
I-Like-Big-Steaks and I Can Not Lie
Just Smack Me With a Hammer
News Flash -Texas Declares Independence From Mexico
Never Cutteth Thine Own Hair
Ejected From the New Age Movement
Been working diddling around the WordPress dashboard today. I got to browsing the spam folder. Some of them are really funny. I’m not sure why they are worded the way the are. Someone with an English as second language problem perhaps. Or computer generated. Some junk blogs I’ve come across seem almost spooky. Run by and for robots. Nary a human interaction. Link Farms galore. So people really make money from this doing this? I can’t imagine any other reason other than an overwhelming desire to annoy the living Be-Jeebus out of legit bloggers. But, I don’t claim to understand exactly what is going on. Just thought I’d share some of the funnier ones with y’all today. Happy Friday 🙂
- Spam comment: Excellent publish. I just stumbled upon your site and also wished to state that I have really enjoyed searching your blog posts. Whatever the case I’m going to be subscribing to your own give food to and I we do hope you create again quickly! Uh, thanks, I think?
- Spam comment: hi-ya i found your site today and I have read some great posts over here. I just wanna thanks you for sharing gratis sex so we all can learn about it! Say what? Did I write an Ambien induced post about sex?
- Spam comment: This is often wondrous. Every stare upon good results substance so we are surprised. We are most certainly fascinated by one of these meals. Among appreciate slimmer s tip, and estimate the effort inside this. Please keep updating. They’re materially vital data gather which will give your observer an extremely clear out facts and figures. I’m speechless. Meals? I don’t cook.
This is a huge belated thank you to any and all people involved in getting my blog post about DVDs on the Freshly Pressed page. I also apologize for being such a total newbie that it took me a while to figure out what happened. Not exactly sure of how this actually came about, but even if it was pure luck I’m going to roll with it and be happy.
I decided to start blogging in on December 21, 2010, a little more than a month ago. Wrote the first post and hit the publish button on December 23, 2010, 2 days later. Chose WordPress because I liked the selection of layouts and the blog that I have been following for years uses it. Stumptuous.com, a great sight for real women to get into weight training.
The next few days I fiddled around with the widgets and a created an ‘about me’ page. I just wanted to write. Had a blizzard of jumbled thoughts and ideas bouncing around the brain pan and had a desperate need to get them out. There are a gazillion Blogs floating around. Many them populated by actual human beings. Talented and creative, these bloggers have varied and fascinating things to say. Faced with all this, I was convinced that it would be a good long time for anyone to discover my little blog, off in the weeds.